Thursday, September 17, 2015

Why the Prequels saved Obi-Wan Kenobi

I apologize for the delay, but life got in the way and I couldn't get this out right away on time.

I am going to get this off of my chest right away after Return of the Jedi, I hated Obi-Wan Kenobi.
My 8yr old head could not wrap my head around the fact that a Jedi, Obi-Wan could lie to Luke. In The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader drops the most quoted line in all of pop culture...I am your Father.  This cliffhanger is so critical in the Star Wars Mythos. It really hard to put into words how much ripple effect this has not only from audience perspective but movie making in general.

From Luke's perspective and you as the audience member know very little about Anakin Skywalker and the lineage.  Obi-Wan gives a crash course to Luke: that he was a freighter pilot, fought in the Clone Wars together and he was a good friend.  Obi-Wan pauses just for second there in his recollection.  There is sadness all in that little pause and it is absolutely powerful.  Obi-Wan states that Darth Vader murder his father. So Luke set on his path on becoming a Jedi and taking on this Evil Sith Lord.  Luke gets another crash course on the light and dark side of the Force in Dagobah from Master Yoda.  Luke's understanding of the Force in a very navie.  Basically, me good Vader bad
...but there is a twist, the Cave.  Luke goes into this temple in Dagobah and sees Darth Vader in all his menacing glory.  Luke does a quick lightsaber battle and goes for the Death blow and lops off Vader's head, it blows up and it reveals the face of ....Luke Skywalker. It is great foreshadowing that Evil is present in Skywalker family and if Luke is not careful he will become what he wants to destroy.


In ROTJ,  Luke reconnects with Obi-Wan (Jedi Spirit Mode) after Yoda passes away.  Obi-Wan says "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. What happened to your father was my fault... from a certain point of view. Anakin was a good friend. When I first met him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. During the Clone Wars, it wasn't long before the Emperor sensed Anakin's powers and lured him to the Dark Side."

It is right there it just devastated me that what Vader said was true and that Luke has to kill his father.  It is hard to understand that Vader took down the Jedi and now the only living Jedi has to take down the main bad guy and it is his father you know, no big deal.  So after this exchange between to Luke and Obi-Wan doesn't really provide any closure and it is a little raw and so ever since that point I am like no Obi-Wan for me.

When the Prequels were announced and I am finding out there is going to be a younger Obi-Wan involved.  I was like I don't know how this is going to pan out. Then you hear Ewan McGregor was cast for the role and I get a little bit more excited.

What Ewan does to the role from acting perspective is fantastic, he mimics Sir Alec Guinness role to a "T" and Ewan develops the same mannerisms that was already present in the Original Trilogy.  Besides, Qui-Gon Jinn who had a very limited run, Obi-Wan is definitely my 2nd favorite character in the Prequels.

Star Wars is never known for its writing, but George Lucas does a very good job on portraying Obi-Wan's maturity over the 3 films.  You have a brash but wise Jedi when you meet him in Phantom Menace.  It is Qui-Gon's death that accelerates a lot of things for Obi-Wan. He was just a padawan and then Qui-Gon's dying wish is to train, Anakin Skywalker.  Yoda sees something there and allows it to happen.

In Attack of the Clones, you see a bearded Obi-Wan and looking more Jedi then ever.  You can see the same Brash Jedi in Anakin and Obi-Wan tries to hold him at bay.  There is not much he can do, because Anakin is very powerful, but he wants to be mature but he is not.  Obi-Wan shows wit and charm at the right times and his sarcasm is top notch.  After Anakin loses his lightsaber in the chase of Padme's assassin Obi-Wan says "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"
Anakin smiles and responds "Don't say that, master. You're the closest thing I have to a father."



In Revenge of the Sith, that opening sequence space battle over Corcuscant is one of my favorites. It really shows that Anakin are brothers in the Force and are completely in sync with one another as they fly over the battlefield.  Again, Obi-Wan's wit shows through after they rescue and crash land General Greivous ship after "Another happy landing."

One of my favorite scenes in ROTS is when everything is on a downward spiral and Obi-Wan is reaching out to Padme to find Anakin. Kenobi: He was decieved by a lie... we all were. It appears that the Chancellor is behind everything, including the war! After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice.
Padmé: I don't believe you. I can't...
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Padmé, I must find him.
Padmé: You're going to kill him, aren't you?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: He has become a very great threat.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Anakin is the father, isn't he?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I'm so sorry.

Obi-Wan shows how much love and care he has for the both of them and it doesn't take a Jedi Master to understand there is something more going on between Anakin and the Senator from Naboo.



Like the opening sequence, the end you get this huge lightsaber fight with Anakin and Obi-Wan.  You can tell they are equals and that they did this 1000 times as Master and Apprentice but now it is much more at stake, Jedi vs Sith. At the end, Kenobi: You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. You were to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.
Anakin Skywalker:  I hate you.
Obi-Wan: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.

Obi-Wan shows his hand. Even though Jedi are not supposed to have attachment...he knows Anakin has it with Padme and he is showing that he also has this attachment with Anakin and it is a little bit more then just Master and Apprentice. 

And this is the point, this is where the Prequels saved Obi-Wan for me.  I can not imagine the pain and torment that Obi-Wan had to go through as he replayed that fight and all the things he could have done when Anakin was under his direction as a pupil.  It would have drove many people mad.  You still see this tenderness in him as he interacts with Luke, but you also get this sense of him holding back.  As I rewatch, the Original Trilogy I like Obi-Wan a lot more and the sting of his words don't hurt as much as they did in the past.

It is cliche, but it is so true never judge a person until you walk in their shoes. Sometimes you need a little more perspective before you pass judgment on someone.  I am sorry Obi-Wan that I doubted a truly wise and powerful Jedi Master. 

Next week, I will tackle is the Force good and evil?



No comments: